Saturday, March 19, 2011

Meatballs!






We're baaaaaaaack and after a 9 day break, I was ready to hit the kitchen and cook away today! I spent the morning making my very first batch of homemade baby food, sweet potatoes, and they were a hit! I am really looking forward to this adventure and am loosely following Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food methods for anyone who is curious.

Alas, tonight it was back to cooking for the "grown up" part of my family and meatballs were on the menu. These are some of my favorite because they are quick to put together and only take only a few minutes to cook through.

Meatballs
Prep:
-Cover a rimmed cookie sheet with foil and lightly grease with butter or oil.
-Preheat broiler.

Mix in a large bowl:
-1lb ground beef
-apple, grated
-small onion, grated
-hand full of bread crumbs*
-palm full of finely chopped parsley
-handful of shredded cheddar cheese
-1 egg
-salt and pepper

Take off your rings and dig in, squishing the ingredients until they are mixed well. Form into 16 meatballs, and place meatballs on the prepared cookie sheet.

Bake meatballs in the broiler for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through and browned on top. (I have a raw meat phobia so I always cut the middle one open just to be sure.) Our broiler cooks a little unevenly, so I also check and rotate my pan a couple of times during cooking, you just have to know your oven/broiler to know if this is necessary.

Finishing Touches:
I served ours over egg noodles tossed with butter (coconut oil would make a great substitution here) and fresh, chopped parsley.

*Substitute cooked quinoa for GF version.

No comments:

Post a Comment