Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Curry



I think my pet name for this one is going to be "Curry in a Hurry". Wednesdays are notoriously crazy for us and thus, I usually plan to serve dinner out of the crock pot on this mid-week hump day. I've tried, succeeded, and failed with many a crock pot recipe over the years and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the results of this one. Even better, it wasn't too spicy for my preschooler!

Crock Pot Chicken Curry

Dump in the Crock Pot:
-1/3 c. tomato paste
-4 cloves of garlic, chopped*
-2 Tbsp curry powder
-1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger*
-1 tsp ground cumin
-1 onion, chopped

-Lay chicken seasoned with salt and pepper down on top of the mixture. The recipe called for boneless, skinless thighs, but I used breasts. I put them in whole to cook and they fell apart into shredded chicken upon completion.

-Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

Finishing Touches:
-Just before serving, mix 1/2 c. Greek yogurt into the crock pot. (This gives the mixture an awesome creamy texture.)
-Serve over rice or quinoa and top with chopped green onions.

Yum!

*I've found a great product in my grocer's frozen section that has saved me so much time, money, and effort - Dorot Frozen Garlic and Herbs! I have found several options available at Trader Joes and at Target. It is super simple, just pop out the amount you need/want and in a few seconds, it's soft enough to squish up and mix into your creation. It's especially refreshing this time of year when fresh products are expensive and hard to come by. For tonight's dinner, I used the garlic and ginger varieties.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! How long did you cook this in the crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks, Amy. That would be something good to include, huh? Can I blame sleep deprivation? :) I updated the post with the cooking times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are completely entitled to blame sleep deprivation!! :)

    ReplyDelete