Saturday, March 5, 2011

Black Bean Burgers




I really feel it's my social and ecological responsibility to decrease the amount of meat my family consumes, so I shoot to make a vegetarian meal twice a week. I do play around with a lot of recipes, trying to make my veggie meals as "meaty" as possible. This one is a winner! Everyone loved it, even my 4-year-old!

Black Bean Burgers

Saute in olive oil until soft:
-1/2 an onion, finely chopped
-red pepper, finely chopped
-2-3 cloves of garlic, minced

In a large bowl, mix:
-2ish cups of black beans (or 2 15oz cans, drained)
-Sauteed veggies
-1 egg
-1 c. bread crumbs*
-Dash of cumin, salt, and pepper

Use a mixer, or take off your rings and get your hands dirty to mash everything together and create 4-6 patties.

Simmer the patties in a bit of olive oil on the stovetop for a few minutes on each side.


Finishing touches:

-Serve on a toasted bun.*
-Suggested toppings - avocado, colby jack cheese, and salsa!
-I served mine with a side of sweet potato fries.

*Use corn crumbs and serve without the bun for a GF version.

2 comments:

  1. this looks SO good! i've gotta write these all down so i know what to get next time i go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thumbs up to this one! So yummy! I used one can of black beans and one can of pinto beans because that's what I had. Served them with a cilantro chutney and everyone loved them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete