Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Overnight Oatmeal





Our oldest started all-day kindergarten this week and with the advent of this new season in our lives, one of the things I am most concerned about is getting good "fuel food" in my daughter to help her through her new, very hectic and stimulating day. I found a baked oatmeal recipe that sounded intriguing and then tweaked it to my liking. We had it this morning and it was a hit! I halved the recipe listed below to make enough to feed me and my two kiddos but feel free to adjust as it works for your family. I'm not sure leftovers of this would be any good.

Over Night Oatmeal

Ingredients:

-2 eggs
-1/4 cup maple syrup, honey, or agave
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 c. salted butter, melted
-1/2 c. applesauce
-fresh or frozen fruit of your choosing, grated or finely chopped
-1 1/4 c milk
-3 c. Bob's Red Mill Rolled Oats

The Night Before...
1. Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
2. Mix all ingredients except the oats in a large bowl.
3. Fold in oats and combine well.
4. Pour mixture into buttered dish and pat in evenly.
5. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic directly on top of the mixture.
6. Refrigerate overnight.

The Next Morning...
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Bake for 30-35 minutes until oatmeal is set and browned on top.
3. Serve hot with a splash of milk and any other favorite oatmeal mix ins (brown sugar, nuts, dried fruit, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment