Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Turkey Chilli



I've been making this recipe for years. I still remember the first time I made it - Superbowl 2004 - but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it from! I'm not kidding when I say that everyone I share this recipe with makes it their new favorite chilli. I LOVE LOVE LOVE making the first batch of this when the weather starts to cool and the cooler temps combined with college football (and a win for the Hawkeyes!) made today the perfect seasonal debut for this dish.

Turkey Chilli

Ingredients:

-2 lbs ground turkey
-1 large onion, chopped
-3/4 c. red wine (can sub chicken stock)
-4 c. tomato sauce
-4 cloves of garlic, minced or chopped
-1 green pepper, diced
-3 15oz cans of black beans, drained
-7 oz. can chipolte peppers in adobe sauce, pureed*
-1 tsp. cumin
-1 Tbs. cocoa powder, unsweetened
-1 Tbs. peanut butter
-colby jack cheese

1. Brown turkey and onion until cooked through.
2. Add all other ingredients, cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes
3. Serve topped with colby jack cheese.

*ALL of the heat of this dish lies in this ingredient. You can use a little, some, or none at all. The past couple of years, I've omitted this ingredient entirely, and served it on the side; this way my 5-year old will eat it and my hubby can add as much heat to his own bowl as he wishes. IF you omit the chipolte peppers/adobe sauce ALSO omit the cocoa powder; the powder is in there to balance the heat and isn't needed if you are leaving the heat out.

THIS DISH FREEZES WELL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment