Thursday, September 8, 2011

Homemade Chicken Nuggets



This one is a mash up of of few different recipes I've tried over time. It is a surefire hit around here. My daughter's exact words were, "These are awesome!" I was a little uncertain what her reaction would be as she has had plenty of "real" chicken nuggets in her life (i.e. Morning Star, Tyson All Natural) but she gobbled them up and reported to want them again and again. I love that I know exactly what is in these and don't find myself trying to interpret an ingredient list that appears to be written in another language.

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

Ingredients:
-2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into cubes*
-1 onion, quartered
-1 apple, peeled, cored, and quartered
-1 c whole wheat breadcrumbs**
-whole wheat flour for coating**

1. Put all of the ingredients EXCEPT the flour in the food processor and blend until well mixed.

2. Put the flour in a shallow bowl. Shape the chicken mixture into 24 - 1" patties, and then lightly coat the patties in flour.

(At this point, you can stick the patties in the freezer. When you want to serve them, pull them out and proceed to step 3. I haven't baked them from frozen so I can't tell you exactly how long it takes to warm them through from frozen.)

3. Bake patties at 450 for 5-7 minutes until flour starts to crisp.

*I find the Foreman Grill works best for cooking in this recipe!
**Sub cornflake crumbs and Pamela's flour mix for GF version.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recipe. I just made them and they are so good.

    ReplyDelete