Monday, August 22, 2011

Celery Salt



After 3 very busy weeks around here, I am spending a full day in the kitchen trying to get on top of the bountiful harvest that has taken over my fridge and counter. First up, I have SO MANY cucumbers that I am thinking of making some pickles. My grandma sent me her recipe (blog post on that to follow later this week) and it requires celery salt. I don't have celery salt, but I do have fresh celery stalks with leaves from the CSA and a newsletter with a recipe. So . . . here is what I came up with, a super-easy, make-your-own celery salt!

Celery Salt

Remove the leaves from one bunch of celery (leaving the stalks for another use). Rinse with cold water and pat dry. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay leaves on it in a single layer. Bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes until dry and crisp, but not brown. Remove from oven and let leaves cool on the tray. Once cool, crumble leaves with your fingers. Add an amount of salt equal to the amount of crumbled celery leaves; mix thoroughly. Store in an air tight container.

A fun tip about limp veggies: If your veggies get left in the crisper drawer a little too long and they start to feel limp or squishy, simply soak them in a bowl of cold water to rehydrate and they will crisp right back up. I've done it to carrots, cucumbers, and celery and it works great! Save your veggies!

1 comment:

  1. This is very helpful. Thanks! As for the cucumbers, I, too am making pickles. My friend just gave me his recipe: http://tinyurl.com/3wvfcyv

    ~a "Milwaukee" lady

    ReplyDelete