Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One Pot Wonder



Between a hectic day, evening plans outside of the house, and a little car trouble, tonight's dinner was far from a gourmet feast. It's nights and circumstances like these that challenge me most to maintain my fresh and healthy cooking values. Alas, I like to have a stock of "one pot wonders" that literally involved tossing very few items into a pot, mix and serve. Here is the first "one pot wonder" of what I'm sure will be many to come....

Quinoa Stirfry


Into the pot they go:
-Frozen veggies of choice
-Protein of choice
-Cooked Quinoa
-Spices of choice

Notes:
-I buy the Costco sized bagged of stir fry veggies here which includes beans, snap peas, peppers, mushrooms, etc.
-Any protein will do, tonight I chose frozen tilapia fillets. They come individually wrapped your frozen food section making it super easy to portion and use at a moment's notice.
-Tonight I was feeling the cumin and orange peal. Sounds like an odd mix, but we enjoy the smoky citrus combo.
-Haven't tried quinoa? Don't know what it is? Try it out sometime. It is available at most mainstream grocery stores near the rice. It's a great substitute for rice as it is a genuine WHOLE GRAIN!!

This dinner literally took me 10 minutes start to table. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. what is quinoa???? i think i really need a costco membership! is it cheaper than target?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Liz... Quinoa is the yellowish stuff you see in the picture. It is a seed that sort of resembles couscous or rice. It's super versatile and can be used in so many different ways. I'll be posting more recipes including it in the future for sure.

    As for Costco, my answer to your cost comparison question would depend on what's in your cart. Ours usually has lots of fresh produce and organic items; costco has a nice selection of both and yes, I would agree they are a better deal than a mainstream grocery store. However, if you are buying general pantry items, and non-organic meats and dairy, I think you can do better in a mainstream grocery store (especially if you use coupons). If you're interested, I can definitely chat with you in more details about the kinds of items we buy regularly from Costco :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quinoa - what time is dinner?

    ReplyDelete