Monday, February 21, 2011

Crockpot Chicken and Biscuits

Tonight we played host to our neighbors for our weekly dinner. After a weekend of prepping/hosting for our son's dedication and another healthy 12" of snow, I was in the mood for some easy, warm comfort food. The inspiration for this one came from a recipe that I found in a recent Real Simple magazine.

Crockpot Chicken and Biscuits


Toss in crockpot:
-4ish carrots, chopped
-2ish stalks of celery, thinly sliced
-1 small onion, chopped
-1/4 c. flour

Add:
-Chicken - the recipe called for boneless, skinless thighs, but I used cut up breasts because that's what I had in the freezer. You do NOT need to cook the chicken before you put it in.
-1 c. of broth (link is for the frugal hearted folks out there)
-Poultry Seasoning
-Salt & Pepper

Cook on low for 5-6 hours. The recipe also suggests adding frozen peas to the crockpot about 10 minutes before serving. I couldn't find the frozen peas I was sure I had when the time came tonight; I didn't miss them but I also made a side of broccoli to make up for the missing green :)

Biscuits:

I wanted to make something a little more interesting than plain biscuits for this one, so I opted for the famous "Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits" - they were a hit!

Follow the recipe on the back of the bisquick box.
Add in shredded cheddar, then dump small amounts onto a greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375.
Mix 1/2 stick of melted butter, a dash of garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
Brush melted butter mixture on top of baked biscuits.
Serve it with a smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment