Sunday, July 24, 2011

BBQ Spare Ribs



Ladies and gentlemen, I give you guest blogger and my hubby, Nicholas Buse:

When I make ribs, I tend to take the same approach as I do when making beer: do the minimum amount of work need to make something delicious! Do I appreciate a good Belgian Triple? (YES) Do I want to take 4-5 months to make my own? (nope)

We have a grilling cookbook, How to Grill by Steven Raichlen, that usually requires lots of fancy ingredients that we don't have. Tonight was no exception, so the deviations are noted below.

BBQ Spare Ribs

Ingredients:

Marinade
6 cups - apple cider
1 - lemon juiced
(or just 2 cans of sparkling lemon water, basically just need sugar and acid...)

Java Rub
6 tbsp - ground coffee
2 tbsp - coarse salt
2 tbsp - brown sugar
2 tsp - garlic power
2 tsp - ground cumin
2 tsp - cocoa power
(left out coriander, onion powder, and others)

Barbecue Sauce (Trader Joe's All Natural)

1. Prep the ribs (remove the membrane from the back of the rack)
2. Put in a non-reactive container with marinade (1-2 hours)
3. Coat front and back with rub and let set for another 1-2 hours
4. Grill on low heat for 2-3 hours. Spray with apple cider every 1/2 hour or so. (used apple juice box)
5. About 20 minutes from the end, coat with barbecue sauce.

Proof that they were still good: watching Sam suck the marrow out of the ribs after cleaning off the meat!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment